Friday 7 March 2014

Interview with author Laura Barnard

Yep it's Friday - and what a quick week it has been, so I though we'd finish the working week (although it doesn't end for me) with a chat with a woman whose books I'm told are 'laugh out loud' funny.
And her new book, The Baby & The Bride, launched just the other day and is already taking the charts by storm.

But first I posed a few questions to the woman herself:-

This is your second book I believe and it’s a follow-up to the first. Can it be read as a stand-alone or do you need to have read the first book to make sense of it all?
It can definitely be read as a stand-alone.  A few reviewers hadn’t read the first and commented that it's still so easy to follow and relate to the characters.

The Baby & The Bride title seems pretty self-explanatory, but what can you tell us about the title of the first book, to which this is a sequel, The Debt & the Doormat? It’s very unusual! And also FREE on Amazon for those who want to pick it up...
It's basically the reason the two main characters Poppy and Jazz decide to swap lives.  Jazz is in debt and Poppy has become a boring doormat, letting people walk all over her.  The plan is for Poppy to have Jazz’s debt paid off and Jazz plans to force Poppy back out into the world and out of her shell.

Are there ideas flitting about in your head for future novels and if so, will they be in the same vein as the first two?
Yes, I’m already working on my next stand-alone novel.  I think I’ll always stick with romantic comedy as it's close to my heart.

Where are you from, do you work apart from writing and what do you like best about both (if applicable!)
I was born in Greenford, but we quickly moved to Watford, Hertfordshire when I was two.  I now live in a village on the outskirts of St Albans.  I don’t work during the day as I look after my one year old daughter, but I was working full time as a PA when I wrote most of The Debt & the Doormat.  Ironically I find it more exhausting looking after a child!  She goes to bed at around 7pm and then I’ll stay up writing to the early hours.


Favourite character in your books?
I think it's pretty obvious that I’m actually in love with Ryan!  He’s just so dreamy.  Although I’d say I can relate to all of the characters in some way.  I like to think of each and every characters motivations and sometimes even the bitch of the book doesn’t mean it.  I explore Poppy’s Mum Meryl a bit more in the book and love how it's turned out.

Who should we look out for in your books, whether sexy, uber-bitch or boy/girl next door?
Ryan and Ollie are the book boyfriends to look out for.  There are two new uber-bitches in this book but I can't tell you their names or who they are as it ruins the surprise in the story!

If you could invite six people to dinner (they can be living or dead - for the sake of the dinner party, if dead, we’ve resurrected them for the night!) who would they be?
Jennifer Laurence – I love her and she’d have some hilarious dinner conversations.  I imagine wetting myself laughing and going streaking with her after a lot of wine.  I’d get her to tell me all about kissing Bradley Cooper (and try to get his number).  I’d also get her to show me how to shoot a bow and arrow like Katniss from The Hunger Games. 
Patrick Swayze – I love him!  Dirty Dancing is my all-time favourite film.  I’d get him to teach me all of the dances and tell me what it was really like to film.
Lindsay Kelk – My favourite chick-lit author.  I’d ask her advice, pick her brain and snort out my wine giggling.
My great-grandmother Bridget – I never met her and I’d be so interested to speak to her.  She raised twelve children, including my Grandma, in Ireland.  We recently went to a family reunion in Athlone, Ireland where we met all of her children’s families.  My Mum has 67 first cousins and each of them have their own so it was manic busy!  I’d love to tell her about it and also find out what they were all like as children.  I’d ask her advice on raising kids – I only have one and I struggle!
Duchess of Cambridge – We’d chat babies, fashion and how she keeps her hair so glossy. 
BeyoncĂ© – She’d obviously join in on the baby talk (we’d probably organise a play date).  She’d crank the music up and sing and dance for us.  We’d all be dancing on the dining room table by the end of it.

Readers of which novelists, do you think would most enjoy your books?
Readers of Sophie Kinsella and Lindsay Kelk.  They do great chick-lit.

Do you think you fit right into a genre, or do you span several? If so, which ones?
I think I fit comfortably in the chick-lit genre.  Even though my books contain romance I still wouldn’t put them in the romance section.  They lean more towards comedy.

What can you tell us about The Baby & the Bride, apart from what’s in the blurb, without giving away any spoilers?

Two women from the past come back into Ryan’s life, causing massive friction between him and Poppy.  

So now a bit about the new book - here's the blurb! 

Sequel to the #1 Amazon Best-Seller, The Debt & the Doormat (available for FREE)
Poppy and Jazz’s lives sound perfect on paper. Jazz has a new baby and Poppy’s getting married. But their realities are very different.

Poppy must strive to keep her cool new job with crazy hours, while trying to keep Ryan happy. Before she knows it her wedding has got out of control, thanks to her mother, the runners at work are bullying her, her parents are in financial difficulty and she’s doubting everything and everyone she ever knew.

Meanwhile Jazz is struggling with motherhood, something a credit card won’t fix. Why won’t this baby give her a break? Will Jazz be able to cope before she loses it?

And will Poppy make it down the aisle? Will Ryan even be waiting? 

You can buy The Baby & The Bride via Amazon
UK or US

You can keep in touch with Laura by the following methods:-

@BarnardLaura

Have a great weekend. More next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment