Thursday 11 October 2012

U Got The Look Challenge - EXCLUSIVE!

Look, no pun intended, I really am just spoiling you now, but it's all fellow author Maria Savva's fault. Here was me minding my own business, intending to do not very much today, apart from go for a massage and chill out, and here she has me at this hour of the morning working! What's going on?!

Anyway, here's how it works:-
 “The Look is a writing prompt, a game, another tagging event. This is how U Got “The Look” works: you take your current manuscript, search for the word “look”, and post the surrounding paragraphs. Lastly, you tag 5 blogging authors who you think will be a good choice for the game.”

So, here's part of the first chapter of my upcoming novel, The Dating Game

At silent assent from her friends, Gill went on, ‘what you didn’t tell me was that he’s five feet four, so three inches shorter than me, and in the heels I had on last night, make that seven, and that he has the personality of a gnat!’  Drawing breath and getting back into her stride, Gill counted out on her fingers for emphasis.  ‘He talked about the gym all night.  He didn’t once ask anything about me, apart from if I was a member at a gym, as he looked me up and down.  I now know more about pectorals, abdominals, protein shakes, and the pros and cons of taking steroids, than I ever thought possible.’

Gill tried to glare at her friends, but Lisa was looking at the ceiling, Angela at her shoes and Laura had found the Guinness beer mat on the table fascinating.

‘And, yes, he is divorced, but he’d only been married two minutes and then got divorced.  What does that say about his attitude to commitment?’  Not waiting for an answer, by now not expecting one either, Gill carried on.

‘Then, there’s his favourite book, or rather lack of.  The last novel he read was The Da Vinci Code and before that a text prescribed for O’ Grade English!  How does that make him interested in books?’

A particularly keen reader herself, Gill couldn’t fathom how anyone couldn’t read a book a month at least.

‘And his love of foreign films?  He looked a bit of a perv, so yes, if they’re Swedish and include the words, “Yes baby, give it to me harder!”’

Laura snorted.  She couldn’t help it.  That set Angela off, and as Lisa started howling, tears running down her face, before long even Gill saw the funny side of it and her face visibly relaxed.  Then she was laughing, protesting between gulps for air, ‘It’s not funny.  How would you have liked it?  I’ve barely been out for months, as you know.  What a waste of a night.  Here was me trying to talk to him about Aldo Giovanni and Fellini and all he knew about foreign film was Borat!’  The giggles from Laura, and the fact that Angela had to get up and run to the loo at Olympic speed, attracted the attention of the vigilant barista,

‘Everything all right, ladies?’
 
So, there you have it, and you'll have to wait until 2nd November to see the rest.
And I've chosen to tag the following authors to take up the challenge, too:-
Seumas Gallacher
Vanessa Wester
James Darcy
Electa Graham
Jason Klimchok
Will they rise to it?
 

 Back tomorrow for an interview with The Kilted Wonder, yep, you've guessed it, Glasgow/Dubai's finest - Seumas Gallacher.
 

2 comments:

  1. LOL, that's a great excerpt, Sooz! Thanks for taking up the challenge! I can't wait to read The Dating Game :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Maria, sorry for delayed reply. I can't wait for the launch now! Sooz

    ReplyDelete