Sunday 10 March 2013

Mother's Day Sign of the Times extract - for a bit of levity!

Happy Mother's Day everyone!
After phoning my parents this morning, to advise them it was snowing here and to make sure they would be able to get to ours for Mother's Day lunch, I realised only 3 hours later, that I hadn't actually spoken to my mum, only my dad! Oops. I was called on it, when I phoned her back!

Anyway, I promised you a Six Sentence Sunday, but shock, horror, Six Sentence Sunday is no more. R.I.P. So I've amended that to a short excerpt of Sign of the Times, especially for Mother's Day.
Hope you enjoy it!
Sooz

(taken from the Leo chapter of Sign of the Times)
After lunch, Amy and Maria dropped David at school and went into Kilburn.  The problem was she always ended up getting more than she came for when she came into town.  She’d nipped into the tearoom and bought a lovely sponge cake to welcome Angelika, something light, not an E number festival.  Since she was here, she’d nip into the supermarket, stock up on cleaning goods. 

She completed her supermarket shop in record time.  “Mummy. I need a pee pee,” Amy tugged her arm.  She’d almost forgotten her daughter was there; she’d been so well behaved.

“Can you hold it just a minute?” she said as she paid for her shopping.  Shoving her hastily packed bags in the trolley, she pushed it with one hand, grasping Amy’s hand in the other and walked towards the Customer Toilets sign.  A few customers let her go before them, when they saw Amy hopping from foot to foot.

“Mummy, I need a poo as well,” Amy said loudly.  Maria was glad she was inside the cubicle, as she could hear titters on the other side.  Amy was always mortifying her, she thought.

“Mummy, I want to watch Bob when I get home,” Amy said.

“That’s fine.  You can watch Bob.”  Maria would have promised her anything at that point. Her discomfort increased further, as Amy started singing Bob the Builder at full volume.  Maria was cursing the builders, as there was no window to use as an escape route.  Finally, Amy was finished.  Maria was scarlet and as she opened the door, a round of applause broke out.

“Well done, young lady,” one elderly woman told her.  “What’s your name?”

“Amy,” she said proudly.

“Well Amy, that was a great performance,” she said, grinning at Maria.  Maria red-faced dragged Amy off to the wash hand basins before she combusted.  As the door closed behind her, she heard shrieks of laughter from within. 
 
Stop by on Thursday for an interview with Nicky Wells. It's a day earlier than the usual Friday, as we have another blog hop starting on Friday for a few days, so stay tuned to win lots of lovely prizes.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment