Friday 25 January 2013

Book review of Party Games by EJ Greenway

Morning everyone - it's snowing again here. I really must watch the forecast more often...
I have something a little different for you today - a novel about politics and Westminster, so this one is much more for both sexes, than my usual fare.

So, without further ado, here's Party Games

Rodney Richmond, the young, charismatic yet ultimately insecure Leader of the Opposition, is at a critical time in his leadership. But once his Shadow Cabinet reshuffle turns sour, leaving a sacked Chief Whip out in the cold, events begin to spiral out of his control. Richmond’s leadership rival and deputy sees his opportunity to seize power through a ruthless game of manipulation and blackmail, leaving Richmond battling for the heart and soul of the party – and the woman – he loves.

Will the loyalty of Richmond’s most trusted allies be enough to stop his enemies, or will their attempts to save him lead to tragedy? Set in the heart of Westminster, Party Games is a hotbed of ambition, treachery, friendship, love and passion. Nobody is safe, and everyone must play...





And here's what I thought of it:-

A glimpse into life in Westminster - bet it's all true!

This is not a genre I would usually read, as I don't follow Politics. I do, however, like legal thrillers and courtroom dramas, so it wasn't such a stretch. I am so glad I read this book. I had real problems putting it down and found myself getting annoyed when my Other Half came home and interrupted me! I could easily visualise all of the characters and although the novel deals with backstabbing, deals, dodgy journalists, scandals, switching allegiances and downright skulduggery, there is a strong romantic theme running throughout the novel, as we see the relationships behind the politicians. How the past shapes the future is also important, as is trying to keep any sort of private life private. The balance of power between politicians, journalists and other 'players' is also very interesting to see unfold. The novel really made me wonder about matters I hadn't given much thought to before. I found Colin odious, although I empathised with him to some extent because of his past. I liked the dubiety over the relationship between Rodney and his close colleague, as well as the eventual relationship between that colleague and another who had been recently sacked. I could well believe that life in Westminster is very similar to this. Also, people stealing their colleagues' thunder and taking the credit themselves is another concept I could clearly see happening on a relatively regular basis. Jeremy having to be placid and keep everyone in line, reminded me a little of a mother hen, trying to keep the peace. I believe there will be a sequel to this novel and I am very much looking forward to it. The pace of the novel and the multitude of events which happened and secrets which were unveiled, made for a compelling read.
I have rated this novel 4 stars, as it would have benefitted from a professional proofread. I understand this is now being rectified. Had it been, and if I were rating on storyline alone, I would easily have rated it 5 stars. An author I am delighted to have discovered.

You can buy Party Games from Amazon at http://amzn.to/12WLQAc (UK) or http://amzn.to/12WLQAc  (US) - £1.02 and $1.65 respectively - an absolute bargain in my opinion.

Tune in on Monday for an interview on dating with Shaz's Book Blog.
Have a great weekend everyone
Sooz

1 comment:

  1. Excellent review, makes me want to read the book. Good constructive feedback

    ReplyDelete